March 08, 2006



Grabbing my first cup of coffee of the day. I slept well last night...thank you for your well wishes and prayers. I woke this morning with a sore throat and stuffy nose....time for green tea instead of coffee, but I need that jumpstart this morning that only my coffee can give me...:)
My plans for today include some laundry, and grabbing some magazines, going out to the patio and planting myself in the sunshine for a little while this afternoon. The sun is glorious today, and big puffy clouds are all about. Today will be the only day with sunshine...the rest of the week is slated for rain and there will be snow in our local mountains!!! Cozying up will be the action of the day for certain..... Ms Robyn had asked me for the recipe for chicken and dumplings....I don't really use a recipe except for the dumplings and that is the easiet part...I cheat...:) I use Bisquick to make the dumplings... so here goes: 4-5 boneless chicken breasts or thighs (whichever you prefer) Some cut up peeled carrots and celery 1 bay leaf, 1 t poultry seasoning 1 t thyme ground fresh pepper..to taste ( all seasonings are to taste) and some chicken broth...canned or fresh its up to you..:) about 2 cans depending on how many are eating..I put the chicken pieces in the broth along with the spices and simmer until done..take out chicken and cool, then shred or cut up in pieces and return to the chicken broth, now its time to make the dumplings, 1 2/3c reduced fat bisquick mix 2/3 c milk...i doubled this recipe due to the appetites in this house...mix together and drop by sopoonsfuls over the simmer broth..reduce heat..cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook 10 minutes..the single recipe makes 9 dumplings. I have used whatever veggies I happen to have on hand also, its a nice change from soup and the dumplings when added thicken up the broth and it becomes very thick and creamy, you can also add other seasonings you prefer. My mother and grandmother used to make this all the time when I was growing up and I never saw them use a recipe...I just watched them and this is how I make it also...hope you enjoy it!

5 comments:

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Mindy.... Sunshine on the patio! What a delicious thought. Enjoy! Bestest Love - Marion x

Peggy said...

yummy, thanks for the recipe. Hope you enjoyed your day.

Amy said...

I've always wondered how to make dumplings, unfortunately they aren't that popular here but your recipe does sound delicious!

Miss Robyn said...

yum, thanks Mindy - I love all the recipes from you american gals!

Maggie Ann said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I love dumplings too. More comfort food....smile.