April 24, 2006

housekeeping.....



As most Mondays are, it was my "weekly home blessing day"...vacuuming,dusting, mopping, and cleaning the baths. This generally takes me about an hour to do...since we have a 2-story home, I use Tuesdays to do the same upstairs. I have been lacking in motivation lately, just really wanting to get outside and work in my flower beds...but need to take care of the inside of the house, then the outside will follow. Do you ever get into a rut regarding your routines, and ideas for menus? I know that I do, and i'm in one right now. I'm proud of myself for tackling the routines today, but as soon as Hubby got home, he took the electric sander and sanded the patched drywall down so he could repaint over the area...(he is putting in a surround sound system in the family room)...so again dust went everywhere!! I decided that I would vacate the room and go to the living room, and plop myself down and put my feet up! I moved a few things around today and have some great ideas for making subtle changes to the decor without alot of money spent (love that)! Washed some clothes and then went off to run a few errands. Getting my swap package ready for sending off to Melanie...what fun this has been!
I cleaned out my linen closet last week and lined it with some Crabtree&Evelyn Lavender scented liners....I threw some things, and donated others, also was able to give away a beautiful comforter set to a dear lady who was in need of one...I love being a blessing to others....put everything away neatly and now its a pleasure to open this door and either get something or put away freshly laundered towels and linens. Its just those little things that we do to take those mundane tasks and make them pleasurable to our senses! I found some vintage looking fabric at a yard sale awhile back and made some valances for my bedroom, they turned out great and have them hanging in the window now, really brightens up the room. I put some new candles out also...jasmine and vanilla...smells divine! I'm compelled to use what I have already laying about the house, some pretty vintage rose patterned plates take on a new life when hung in a grouping in the bedroom, old teacups and saucers used to hold bird seed in the garden...this really sparks the creativity within me when I'm challenged this way...We have a spare room that i'm going to attack tomorrow...it has a wonderful old sofa with carved legs, and an old steamer trunk, lots of vintage lace and tablecloths, and a creative urge to make myself a sitting room!!! You can guess what i'll be doing bright and early tomorrow....photos to follow!!!! Enjoy your day...blessings one and all....

" A flowerless home is a soulless room to my way of thinking~ but even one solitary little vase of a living flower may redeem it."~~ Vita Sackville-West~

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mindy, you are a marvel. Is this a sympton of Spring Fever, perhaps? Mindy, I have tagged you to name your ten simple pleasures. If you go to my blog, The Trad Pad at http://tradpad.blogspot.com, you will be able to see my response to Ms Robyn's tag and a link to her site.

Blessings and bliss

sparrow's song said...

(chuckles at dream pic posted) Definitely a dream pic. I don't know too many woman who sleep in lipstick.

All that cleaning makes me tired just thinking of it. But there is such a sense of complishment when finished.

I put some new candles out also...jasmine and vanilla...smells divine!

I enjoy scented candles too. Sandalwood is my favorite next to vanilla.

A pleasure to meet you.

Diane Viere said...

You have nearly inspired me to do some of my own cleaning! And I hate--not that's H.A.T.E. housework of any kind!

What a beautiful and inspiring post. I'll keep you updated should I really be motivated beyond inspired! For now--I'm going to get a couple of flowers!

Diane

Unknown said...

Mindy it sounds like your home will be so beautiful in no time at all :) I'm so enjoying catching up after my little break.

Take care my friend xx

Maggie Ann said...

What a great picture...and a great dream..=). I love to decorate with vintage plates especially...